Sunday, November 24, 2013

"YOLO? I don’t even know anymore, what that even mean though If you only live once why we keep doing the same shit. Back home where I come from we keep being born again and again and again. That’s why they invented karma" - M.I.A

 I heard this while listening to M.I.A's new album Matangi. It caught my attention right away and I heard every word so clearly. Not to say that "it spoke to me" or anything like that but that she was able to put into words thoughts I've had for a while.

The Y.O.L.O craze was a little weird. Was it an excuse for people to do stupid shit or a way for people to look at what they have, what they wanted, and the time they had to achieve it? Y.O.L.O could have been very empowering. When you finally realize that this is as good as it gets wouldn't you toss away all the pettiness of opinions, give little thought to possessions except those that are sustaining, and really embrace and appreciate what you have? No, it was just an excuse to party like you'll never die and love like you've never lost, blahblahblah.

Now the idea of karma is a little scarier, if you believe in that sort of thing. I don't think it's meant to be scary but it helps you take into account the actions of your "current" life since those deeds or undoings will affect your future lives. I feel like karma is for those who take comfort in the idea that your soul can live on and you get a sort of redo at life. It encourages people to take care of their lives and how it affects those around them. Or you don't learn your lesson in this life, fuck around, and end up a pauper in the streets of India.

To sum up my thoughts, throwing caution to the wind is ridiculous and selfish. Your decisions will always affect others no matter how insignificant or private. The decisions you make for yourself change something in you that will ultimately touch the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment