Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Luxe just ain't for us

Man, I walked in here with the intention of getting something specific taken care of but I've totally spaced it. Oh well.

Life is good right now, I can't complain. Both my boyfriend and I were recently promoted (him more so than me but hey, he buys me pretty things sometimes), we moved into a better apartment full of goodies like a pool and gym, we're both fairly healthy, and the cat has been great. We have the money and time to spend on things we really enjoy like RiotFest this past weekend and then the Great American Beer Festival in a couple of weeks. Our (well mostly mine) plan to visit Claire in England is basically squared away. Joe just needs to get his passport and we will be good to go at the beginning of the year. I feel like all the things we've gotten to do and we are going to do, weren't things that I ever anticipated doing in my life, not without scraping for cash. But with how fortunate we are now, we can just sit back to pick and choose what next fun trip we want to go on or what concert we should attend.

I never imagined how *comfortable* I feel with my life right now. We don't have everything we want but that's okay. Besides, we still have time to attain those things. I just remember being in college and university with all the people around me either struggling or dreading the struggle of "real life." And here I am just kind of hanging out, fairly stress free. Is it my nonchalant attitude towards things? My careful planning to avoid financial pitfalls? Is it how frugal we always are even if we have more than enough for certain things?

When we moved to Denver, my dad did help us get settled by paying for the first and last months rent, upfront as required. I was only working at DSW and barely making enough to cover rent and utilities. I did have a fair amount of money saved up from working while I was in school and a little bit that summer so that helped keep the broke at bay until I found a full time job merely 7 months after we moved. I also didn't carry any kind of debt with me as I feel many of my friends and peers do.

We really are very lucky. I'm lucky to have what I have and to have who I have. I started this post with the intention of ranting about how boring life is right now in regards to my job. No really, my job is boring as fuck. I can do that shit with my eyes closed but I won't because I risk paper cuts. But after listing what I've got going for me right now, what I think of my work seems so trivial.

I'm pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment